ARLINGTON, Texas - Leonys Martin hit a game-winning bases-loaded single with two out in the ninth inning to give the Texas Rangers a 2-1 victory over the Minnesota Twins Saturday night.
Alex Rios doubled with one out against losing pitcher Caleb Thielbar (2-2).
Two walks and one out later, Martin sent a ground ball past Brian Duensing, the Twins' third pitcher of the inning, to send Rios home.
Starting pitchers Matt Garza of the Rangers and Mike Pelfrey each gave up a first-inning run before shutting out their opponent over the next six innings.
Brian Dozier led off the game with his 15th home run, a season record for a Minnesota second baseman.
Adrian Beltre's sacrifice fly following two singles allowed Texas to tie the score 1-1 in the bottom of the first inning.
Joe Nathan (5-2) pitched a scoreless ninth for the win.
- Updated Texas man stung to death by bees
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Updated Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Updated Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning