A 41-year-old Miles man has been charged with murder for allegedly shooting another man.
Thomas Gene Peiser remains jailed in Runnels County on $300,000 bond.
Peiser was taken into custody Thursday after authorities discovered 58-year-old Antonio Hernandez Romo’s body a “short distance” north of Miles off of FM 2333, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
“Motive and details of the case are under investigation,” DPS spokesman Frederick Biddle said Friday, noting the probe includes the Miles Police Department, Runnels County Sheriff’s Office and the Texas Rangers.
Romo’s body was discovered at the different location after authorities arrived at Peiser’s residence about 2:30 p.m. Thursday following a call for a possible gunshot, according to DPS.
According to a news release from the Runnels County Sheriff’s Office, Peiser was “uncooperative with investigators” when they arrived.
Evidence was “quickly located in and around the residence,” indicating “an altercation had occurred and someone was, at the very least severely injured,” the release said.
“Investigators gained information from other sources that Peiser had left the residence … and returned a short time later,” the release said. “At approximately 5:36 p.m., a member of the Miles Fire Department reported finding a body in a field near the intersection of FM 2333 and County Road 392.”
Romo’s body was taken to American Forensics in Mesquite for autopsy.
- Updated Mayor Williams' former campaign manager running for Abilene City Council
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- 2 held in shooting death of North Texas boy, 5, brother hurt
- 17.3 MILLION: Ikea recalls dressers again after death of 8th child
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Donors step up for Abilene Salvation Army ahead of Thanksgiving
- Love and Care Ministries unloads 13 trailers of donated items
- Bicyclist injured after hitting vehicle in north Abilene
- Abilene police may use DNA-based composites to solve crimes
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Pastor describes Ryan Riggs' murder confession at Brownwood church
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down