SAN ANGELO, Texas - Shannon Medical Center in San Angelo is reporting that there have been four flu-related deaths there since December 25th. They range in age from 38 to 59 years old. One of them had received the flu vaccination. They were also battling other illnesses that made it harder to recover from the flu.
A fifth person is currently in the intensive care unit suffering from respiratory failure and flu.
The CDC and Texas Health Department believe a version of the H1N1 virus is behind the increased numbers of flu cases.
State law requires only the reporting of pediatric flu fatalities.
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Gun and knife show returns to Abilene this weekend
- Big Country man recognized with award for act of heroism
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- DPS identifies 2 arrested after high-speed chase on I-20
- Jury sentences Ranger man to 99 years in prison for mid-2016 murder
- Man jailed in Callahan County after chase, stolen truck crashes into DPS unit