ABILENE, Texas - Powerful Hurricane Irma is located in the Atlantic Ocean about 400 miles east of the northern Leeward Islands Monday evening. She is forecast to move across these islands Tuesday night. She is then forecast to pass near Puerto Rico Wednesday afternoon.
The current projection has her close to southern Florida early Saturday as still a major hurricane with 130 mph winds.
Several of our weather forecast models are suggesting that Irma may then turn to the north and move across the length of Florida this weekend. She is then expected to be quickly absorbed by a cold front over the western Carolinas Tuesday.
This same cold front should move through our area next Monday and bring us milder temperatures again next Tuesday. Even if the right turn by Irma across Florida does not take place, the early next week cold front should help to keep Irma from reaching the Texas coast.
We will be tracking the progress of this dangerous hurricane over at least the next seven days.
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- $14.25 million lottery prize claimed two days before ticket bought in Abilene expired
- Former Texas teacher arrested for inappropriate relationship with a minor
- Viral photo shows baby on Santa's lap giving sign for 'help'
- Officials: Texas man posing as film director made child porn
- Fake City of Abilene Facebook page removed, unclear who took it down
- Abilene police chief calls solving year-old murder of Abilene realtor ‘very high priority'
- Shipping deadlines quickly approaching for Christmas
- Abilene police buy presents for 'Operation Blue Santa'
- Abilene house fire leaves $30,000 in damages
- City of Abilene asks public for feedback on Lake Kirby
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Brown County capital murder suspect waives arriagnment
- Former Brown County teacher arrested for having improper relationship with student
- Brownwood holds its annual Lighted Christmas Parade
- Records: Brown County game warden fired for sending nude photos, racist text messages
- Old Brownwood fire station sold to make way for fast food restaurant
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Fire engulfs trailer house in Tye
- Stamford's James Washington claims Biletnikoff Award as nation's best receiver
- 27 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- DPS identifies construction worker killed by 18-wheeler on I-20 in Sweetwater
- Mother of Big Country sexual assault victim speaks out