ATLANTA - Henrik Stenson capped off the best stretch of his career with the biggest payoff in golf.
Stenson held off a brief challenge by 20-year-old Jordan Spieth and closed with a 2-under 68 to win the Tour Championship by three shots over Spieth and Steve Stricker. With the win, the 37-year-old Swede clinched the FedEx Cup and its $10 million bonus. Stenson also earned $1.44 million for winning the tournament.
He became the first European to win the Tour Championship since it began in 1987.
Spieth ran off four straight birdies on the back nine and briefly pulled to within one shot. But he caught a plugged lie in the bunker on the 17th to make bogey, and Stenson birdied the 15th to restore his margin.
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- House speaker getting firsthand look at US-Mexico border
- KTXS Forecast: Very warm tomorrow but a cool down to look forward to by the end of the week
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9