SWEETWATER, Texas - A 15-year-old Sweetwater girl was flown to an Abilene hospital in critical condition after she was hit by a pickup truck Tuesday morning.
According to Sweetwater ISD Superintendent Dr. George McFarland, the accident happened about 7 a.m. in the 400 block of Lamar Street near Sweetwater Middle School. She was trying to cross the four-lane street near the school’s tennis courts, officials said.
Police Chief Brian Frieda said the victim -- a high school student – “darted” in front of the truck heading north on Lamar Street. She wasn’t in a designated crosswalk or an active school zone. The accident occurred 10 to 12 blocks from the high school.
The driver of the truck wasn’t cited. It was dark at the time of the accident. Frieda said the driver was emotionally distraught.
The girl was flown by helicopter to Abilene in critical condition. She was later transferred to Lubbock.
Accidents like this is “why we encourage people to cross at the crosswalk and look both ways,” Friend said.
“We appreciate your prayers for this student and the family,” McFarland said.
- Warrant: Abilene man used cell phone to force girl into sex for 4 years
- Abilene police: Elderly man paid to watch, have sex with teens
- Prostitution bust at north Abilene massage parlor
- Abilene police arrest Grinch who tried to steal Christmas
- Salvation Army needs your help this holiday season
- Taylor County Sheriff's Office behind the wheel for simulator training
- Man arrested in Brownwood's largest meth bust gets indicted
- City of Early declines using taxpayer funds to pay for lobbyist
- Thousands of toys and dollars collected at Brownwood toy drive
- Brownwood approves retaining a lobbyist after 2 people speak up against it
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Clyde man indicted for sexual assault
- Dallas Cowboys apologize to Coleman family for mistreatment of their handicapped daughter
- Big County couple says AT&T Stadium mistreated their handicapped daughter
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- After 5-1 school board vote, Chris Hagler's contract renewed with Anson
- Stamford's James Washington claims Biletnikoff Award as nation's best receiver