CHILDRESS, Texas (AP) - A helicopter crash in West Texas during work on some power lines has left a lineman dead and the pilot hurt.
The Department of Public Safety says the crash happened late Tuesday afternoon about two miles northeast of Childress.
DPS said the helicopter was hovering at about 150 feet and the lineman was in a chair about 50 feet below the aircraft hanging rollers on power poles. The helicopter lost power and crashed. DPS did not immediately identify the utility.
DPS said 23-year-old Jonathan David Suhr of McLean died at Childress Regional Medical Center. The pilot, 42-year-old Keith Hard of Butte County, Calif., was treated and released.
Records show the helicopter was registered to Brim Equipment Leasing Inc. of Ashland, Ore. A message left Wednesday with Brim wasn't immediately returned.
- Updated Redevelopment for West Texas Hilton hotel opened in 1929
- Updated Video of black Texas woman thrown to ground sparks review
- Updated Police: McDonald's worker in Texas fired for refusing officer service
- Updated Police save Texas robbery suspect from burning car after chase
- Updated Building partially collapses in Hamlin