CHILDRESS, Texas (AP) - A helicopter crash in West Texas during work on some power lines has left a lineman dead and the pilot hurt.
The Department of Public Safety says the crash happened late Tuesday afternoon about two miles northeast of Childress.
DPS said the helicopter was hovering at about 150 feet and the lineman was in a chair about 50 feet below the aircraft hanging rollers on power poles. The helicopter lost power and crashed. DPS did not immediately identify the utility.
DPS said 23-year-old Jonathan David Suhr of McLean died at Childress Regional Medical Center. The pilot, 42-year-old Keith Hard of Butte County, Calif., was treated and released.
Records show the helicopter was registered to Brim Equipment Leasing Inc. of Ashland, Ore. A message left Wednesday with Brim wasn't immediately returned.
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Updated Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- Big Country 100 Men Who Care gives away another $10,000
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting