PALESTINE, Texas (AP) - Two people have died in fire in a downtown building in the small East Texas town of Palestine.
Capt. Jeff Croft of the Palestine Fire Department said a man and a woman died in the fire reported early Saturday morning. He says another person was reportedly able to escape the blaze.
A news release from Wendy Ellis, interim city manager, said crews encountered heavy fire conditions and heavy smoke throughout when they arrived on scene.
The news release said that within minutes of firefighters' arrival, the building began to collapse.
The building housed a thrift store and was a total loss. Surrounding buildings received minimal damage.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer