PALESTINE, Texas (AP) - Two people have died in fire in a downtown building in the small East Texas town of Palestine.
Capt. Jeff Croft of the Palestine Fire Department said a man and a woman died in the fire reported early Saturday morning. He says another person was reportedly able to escape the blaze.
A news release from Wendy Ellis, interim city manager, said crews encountered heavy fire conditions and heavy smoke throughout when they arrived on scene.
The news release said that within minutes of firefighters' arrival, the building began to collapse.
The building housed a thrift store and was a total loss. Surrounding buildings received minimal damage.
- Updated Girl, 8, gets $10K scholarship to University of North Texas after video
- Updated Two-headed rat snake gets new home at Central Texas zoo
- KTXS Forecast: Perfect weather for coming weekend
- Man recants story about road rage incident near Abilene
- Wanted: Former Abilene day care teacher among 4 being sought
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget