PALESTINE, Texas (AP) - Two people have died in fire in a downtown building in the small East Texas town of Palestine.
Capt. Jeff Croft of the Palestine Fire Department said a man and a woman died in the fire reported early Saturday morning. He says another person was reportedly able to escape the blaze.
A news release from Wendy Ellis, interim city manager, said crews encountered heavy fire conditions and heavy smoke throughout when they arrived on scene.
The news release said that within minutes of firefighters' arrival, the building began to collapse.
The building housed a thrift store and was a total loss. Surrounding buildings received minimal damage.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- State Rep. submits bill to end Brown Co. Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Texas ag. commisisoner calls for ‘hog apocalypse'
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS