EDINBURG, Texas (AP) - Two girls have been charged with murder in a South Texas drive-by shooting that left a 17-year-old innocent bystander dead.
State District Judge Jesse Contreras detailed the charges to the two juveniles in a Hidalgo County courtroom in Edinburg. They remain in the juvenile detention center, where they've been ordered to undergo psychological evaluation.
Authorities said the two were riding in a van with five adults Oct. 5 when it pulled up to an empty lot and those inside opened fire on a crowd. Police said 17-year-old bystander Miguel Vasquez was fatally shot in the neck.
Five other adults have also been charged with murder.
- Updated Abilene murder suspect captured in Arlington
- Trump makes unusual swing through Texas
- Texas fines testing vendor $5.7M, demands $15M in upgrades
- Too much homework? Not in this Texas classroom. None at all. None all year
- Abilene police seeking suspect who drove girlfriend to Tuscola, assaulted her