OLMITO, Texas - South Texas authorities say two men have been arrested for armed robberies targeting fishermen in remote locations.
Cameron County Sheriff Omar Lucio said Friday that deputies and U.S. Border Patrol agents arrested 22-year-old Jesse Ibarra and 31-year-old Felix Padilla. The Valley Morning Star reports they were apprehended in La Paloma after a foot chase.
They're each charged with aggravated armed robbery, engaging in organized criminal activity and other offenses. They're being held at the Cameron County jail, each on bond exceeding $750,000.
Online jail records do not indicate attorneys for the men.
Two other men previously were arrested for fatally shooting off-duty Border Patrol Agent Javier Vega Jr., who was fishing with his family Aug. 3 near Santa Monica. Vega's father was shot and wounded in that robbery attempt.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- State Rep. submits bill to end Brown Co. Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Updated Texas ag. commisisoner calls for ‘hog apocalypse'
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS