OLMITO, Texas - South Texas authorities say two men have been arrested for armed robberies targeting fishermen in remote locations.
Cameron County Sheriff Omar Lucio said Friday that deputies and U.S. Border Patrol agents arrested 22-year-old Jesse Ibarra and 31-year-old Felix Padilla. The Valley Morning Star reports they were apprehended in La Paloma after a foot chase.
They're each charged with aggravated armed robbery, engaging in organized criminal activity and other offenses. They're being held at the Cameron County jail, each on bond exceeding $750,000.
Online jail records do not indicate attorneys for the men.
Two other men previously were arrested for fatally shooting off-duty Border Patrol Agent Javier Vega Jr., who was fishing with his family Aug. 3 near Santa Monica. Vega's father was shot and wounded in that robbery attempt.
- Updated 1 dead after 2 vehicles go into water-filled Texas sinkhole
- Iraan grad rounding up support from Texas cheerleaders after deadly bus crash
- Updated Oakland fire death toll at 36, likely to climb as investigation continues
- Prominent Texas personal injury attorney dies week after daughter's suicide
- KTXS Forecast: One last shot of rain today, then much colder air arrives by mid-week
- 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Ballinger man arrested for ramming multiple patrol cars
- Thousands attend Brownwood Christmas parade