MIDLAND, Texas (AP) - Three men are dead after a two pickup trucks slammed into each other on a remote West Texas highway.
The Texas Department of Public Safety said the 7 a.m. Tuesday crash happened on Farm Road 1788, about 2½ miles south of Interstate 20 southwest of Midland.
DPS said a truck was trying to pass on the two-lane highway when it slammed into the oncoming truck. Trooper Chad Matlock tells the Odessa American that the driver of the passing truck, 26-year-old Francisco Ortega of Odessa, and 27-year-old passenger Joshua Sterns of New Caney were killed outright. Also killed was the driver of the other truck, 47-year-old Manuel Loera of Odessa.
In critical condition at Midland Memorial Hospital was 27-year-old Jesus Carballo of Ehrenberg, Ariz., another passenger in the passing truck.
- Updated Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Updated Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web
- Updated No tax increases in proposed Brownwood budget for 2016-2017