ATASCOSA, Texas - Authorities say five people were injured after a truck hit a carriage that was being pulled by a donkey near a rural town southwest of San Antonio.
Bexar County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Rosanne Hughes says two of those hurt - one man and one male child - were critically injured and taken by helicopter to a San Antonio hospital.
The other three victims were also hospitalized.
Hughes says the accident near Atascosa happened at 2:30 p.m. Saturday when the truck hit the carriage from behind. The truck fled the scene but the driver was caught a short time later.
Authorities suspect alcohol might have been involved.
Hughes says the driver, whose name was not immediately released, could face DWI and intoxication assault charges if it's determined he was legally drunk.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Updated Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer