BROWNSVILLE, Texas (AP) - Five people died when the sport utility vehicle in which they were riding plunged into a South Texas port basin.
The Incident happened about 4 p.m. Thursday when the truck plunged into the shrimp basin at the Port of Brownsville.
Justice of the Peace Erin Hernandez said the two adults and three children were found dead inside the SUV. Port Police Chief Carlos Garcia said a 14-year-old was taken to Valley Regional Medical Center in Brownsville after being rescued from the water.
Garcia said a heavy crane was used to recover the vehicle from the water, but the reason for the fatal plunge is still unclear.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated