ENCINITAS, Calif. (AP) - NFL Hall of Famer Lance Alworth is getting back his Super Bowl ring, 25 years after it was stolen.
The San Diego County Sheriff's Department said Tuesday the 1971 ring was scheduled to be sold Nov. 20 at an auction house in Laguna Niguel with an opening bid of $44,000. The ring was reported stolen in 1988 from a San Diego bar that displayed sports memorabilia.
Investigators say Alworth received a phone call last month demanding $40,000 for the ring. The former wide receiver for the San Diego Chargers and the Dallas Cowboys contacted authorities.
No arrests have been made.
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Abilene City Council to consider payday loan restrictions
- Major businesses push back against Texas' proposed bathroom bill
- Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- KTXS Forecast: Warm & windy weather brings enhanced fire danger