HOUSTON (AP) - The death of 3-year-old Lee'onna Ramirez remained hidden for a year as authorities say her mother kept them at bay with conflicting stories on her whereabouts.
One scenario was that the child was living with her father in Mexico.
Investigators allege Lee'onna's mother, Sabrina Maria Deleon, failed to get her daughter medical help when the child suffered a seizure and died in their Houston-area home sometime last year. They say Deleon then wrapped the girl's body in a blanket and threw her away with the trash.
Deleon, who's 26, remained jailed Monday on bonds totaling $300,000 on charges of injury to a child and evidence tampering.
Her attorney, Rudy Duarte, didn't return calls seeking comment Monday.
Authorities are unsure they will be able to locate Lee'onna's body.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated