DECATUR, Texas (AP) - Authorities say a North Texas man remains in jail on a murder charge after fatally beating his 75-year-old mother on Mother's Day.
Bond has been set at $1 million for 49-year-old Kirk Alan Heithecker. He's being held in the Wise County jail, about 40 miles northwest of Fort Worth.
Sheriff's Lt. Brent Hamilton said Heithecker offered no plea during his arraignment Monday in the death of Nancy Heithecker.
Deputies on Sunday went to the home the Heitheckers' shared after receiving a call requesting a welfare check. The elder Heithecker's body was found and it was determined she died of blunt force trauma and strangulation.
Authorities said Kirk Heithecker admitted to the killing but added there's no clear motive.
Jail records did not indicate an attorney representing him.
- Updated Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Updated Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Updated Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Updated Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital
- Updated Abilene man, 32, sentenced to 18 years for June 2014 shooting death