WACO, Texas - WACO, Texas (AP) - A Baylor University student has died after collapsing near the finish line of a half-marathon road race.
Twenty-three-year-old Daniel Jones was treated at the scene Saturday morning and taken to a Waco hospital, where he died about an hour later.
Jones was a senior at the university majoring in marketing and management. He lived in the Fort Worth suburb of North Richland Hills.
The university says in an email distributed to students and staff that Jones was participating in the university's annual Bearathon, a fundraising event for Baylor's Student Foundation. The foundation raises money for student scholarships.
Waco TV station KWTX reports the 13.1-mile half-marathon and a related 5-K run attracted nearly 2,200 runners in 2012 and raised about $69,000 for scholarships.
- Updated 'Eerily similar' earthquake hit Italian region in 2009
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles welcomed home to Texas
- Updated 2016 rainfall totals exceed normal yearly average in Abilene
- Updated Rival schools lend football gear to Oklahoma team after fire