WACO, Texas - Investigators believe a man found dead in the water near a Central Texas marina after socializing with friends was a soldier at Fort Hood.
Waco police on Monday identified the man as 21-year-old Jackson Cole Taylor-Smith from the Killeen area.
Taylor-Smith was last seen before dawn Saturday with some friends. His body was discovered Saturday night by a houseboat owner in the Speegleville Marina area of Lake Waco.
Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton says autopsy results are pending. Police initially described the death as questionable.
Game wardens are assisting with the investigation.
Further details weren't immediately released.
Officials at Fort Hood on Monday did not immediately confirm whether Taylor-Smith was a soldier at the post.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Updated Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer