CORSICANA, Texas (AP) - Police say a 2-year-old boy has died after accidentally shooting himself in the head at a North Texas home while his father was in another room.
Corsicana police on Thursday confirmed the child's death. The boy's name wasn't immediately released.
Police Chief Randy Bratton said the father called 911 on Wednesday night to report the shooting. The wounded boy was transported to a Corsicana hospital and then on to a Dallas hospital where he died later Wednesday.
Bratton said the boy apparently found a handgun in a bedroom while his father was elsewhere in the residence. The father and son were alone in the home.
No charges were immediately filed. Child Protective Services and prosecutors have been informed of the death.
Corsicana is 50 miles southeast of Dallas.
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested
- Updated West Texas police say 6 slightly hurt when shot during robbery
- Updated 2 arrested for Texas bank robberies
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Lowe's Heroes gives back to the Disabled American Veterans
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase