CORSICANA, Texas (AP) - Police say a 2-year-old boy has died after accidentally shooting himself in the head at a North Texas home while his father was in another room.
Corsicana police on Thursday confirmed the child's death. The boy's name wasn't immediately released.
Police Chief Randy Bratton said the father called 911 on Wednesday night to report the shooting. The wounded boy was transported to a Corsicana hospital and then on to a Dallas hospital where he died later Wednesday.
Bratton said the boy apparently found a handgun in a bedroom while his father was elsewhere in the residence. The father and son were alone in the home.
No charges were immediately filed. Child Protective Services and prosecutors have been informed of the death.
Corsicana is 50 miles southeast of Dallas.
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Updated Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- Big Country 100 Men Who Care gives away another $10,000
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting