RICHMOND, Texas (AP) - A 9-year-old boy has been shot near Houston by a stray bullet that might have come from a nearby gun range.
Fort Bend County sheriff's spokesman Bob Haenel tells the Houston Chronicle that the boy was walking with his grandfather in a rural area about 35 miles west of Houston Saturday afternoon. A loud noise rang out, and shortly afterward, the boy fell to the ground. He had a bullet wound on his leg.
His grandfather took the boy to an emergency room. He's being treated for non-life threatening injuries.
Haenel says a gun range is nearby the site of the shooting.
Authorities are investigating.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer