NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas (AP) - Firefighters using a ladder truck with a bucket have coaxed a student down from a 125-foot light tower to end a more than six-hour standoff in South Texas.
According to New Braunfels police, the incident ended around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday when emergency personnel persuaded the 16-year-old to ride down with them.
Police negotiated with the boy, who Wednesday afternoon climbed the light tower near an athletic field after an apparent dispute with a school staffer. The worker noticed the teen near Unicorn Stadium and asked what he was doing.
Capt. John McDonald said the boy was dehydrated but not seriously hurt. The youth, whose name wasn't released, was taken to a hospital for examination.
Temperatures were in the 90s Wednesday in New Braunfels, about 20 miles northeast of San Antonio.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- State Rep. submits bill to end Brown Co. Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Texas ag. commisisoner calls for ‘hog apocalypse'
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS