NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas (AP) - Firefighters using a ladder truck with a bucket have coaxed a student down from a 125-foot light tower to end a more than six-hour standoff in South Texas.
According to New Braunfels police, the incident ended around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday when emergency personnel persuaded the 16-year-old to ride down with them.
Police negotiated with the boy, who Wednesday afternoon climbed the light tower near an athletic field after an apparent dispute with a school staffer. The worker noticed the teen near Unicorn Stadium and asked what he was doing.
Capt. John McDonald said the boy was dehydrated but not seriously hurt. The youth, whose name wasn't released, was taken to a hospital for examination.
Temperatures were in the 90s Wednesday in New Braunfels, about 20 miles northeast of San Antonio.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program