SPRINGTOWN, Texas (AP) - A 10-year-old boy has died after being run over while trying to catch the school bus in North Texas.
According to the Department of Public Safety, the accident happened Monday morning near Springtown, about 20 miles northwest of Fort Worth.
Trooper Gary Rozzell identified the victim as Haven Lee Norton of Springtown.
Rozzell said the Springtown Independent School District bus stopped to pick up some children. The bus was pulling away when the boy tripped and fell as he tried to reach the vehicle. The driver apparently didn't see the boy, who died at the scene after being run over.
Rozzell said the bus had a driver, a co-driver and four children. DPS doesn't believe those students saw the accident.
Springtown ISD officials say counselors are available.
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Updated Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon