HOUSTON (AP) - A Houston man has been fatally shot at home in an upscale neighborhood while hosting a sleepover for his children and friends.
Houston Police Sgt. Brian Harris said 35-year-old Ashley Scott Rowell answered the door Friday evening and was shot in the doorway.
Harris told the Houston Chronicle the man's wife called 911. She was at the Montrose-area home with her husband and their three children, as well as two others who came for the sleepover.
Harris said the man staggered back after being shot and fell near the children. Police don't believe it was a random act.
Police said the man had recently sold a beer distributorship.
- Updated Convicted man on Texas Most Wanted sex offender list caught
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested
- Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Associated Press releases it's Texas high school football rankings for Week 1
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase