SAN MARCOS, Texas (AP) - Investigators say a 2-month-old Central Texas girl has died after being mauled by the family's pet German shepherd at home while her father slept.
San Marcos police say the girl died Tuesday afternoon after suffering numerous animal bites. Her name wasn't immediately released.
Police say the father told investigators that he fell asleep when the child was napping in an infant bouncer. He says he awoke, about 20 minutes later, to find the baby obviously injured and unresponsive. The girl was pronounced dead at a San Marcos hospital.
A city statement Wednesday says the dog will be impounded for at least 10 days, to determine whether to euthanize the animal. The dog has been the family's pet for more than eight years.
San Marcos is 30 miles south of Austin.
- Mayor Williams' former campaign manager running for Abilene City Council
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood fugitive declines extradition for homicide-related charges
- 2 held in shooting death of North Texas boy, 5, brother hurt
- KTXS Forecast: Near normal temperatures Wednesday
- Donors step up for Abilene Salvation Army ahead of Thanksgiving
- Love and Care Ministries unloads 13 trailers of donated items
- Bicyclist injured after hitting vehicle in north Abilene
- Abilene police may use DNA-based composites to solve crimes
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Pastor describes Ryan Riggs' murder confession at Brownwood church
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down