LUFKIN, Texas (AP) - One toddler has died while another survived after both were found in an East Texas swimming pool.
A spokeswoman at Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston said 20-month-old Amarie Rodriguez died Sunday. Alex Loessin said 2-year-old Ayden Bentley was listed in good condition Monday.
The Angelina County Sheriff's Office said both children were discovered Saturday morning in a pool at a home in the Lufkin area.
Sheriff Greg Sanches said the youngsters apparently got out of the sight of their parents. Authorities aren't sure how long the two children were in the pool before the boy's father located the pair in the water. The toddlers were taken to a Lufkin hospital before being flown to Houston.
The sheriff's department didn't immediately provide further details Monday.
- Updated Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles welcomed home to Texas
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Rival schools lend football gear to Oklahoma team after fire
- Updated Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase
- Updated Police: Man charged in Texas mosque threat later apologized