KAUFMAN, Texas (AP) - Authorities say an assistant district attorney has been shot and killed near the North Texas county courthouse where he worked.
The shooting occurred just before 9 a.m. Thursday outside a building across from the main Kaufman County courthouse. Authorities say two suspects in the shooting are being sought. No motive has been released.
The name of the prosecutor was not immediately announced, pending notification of family.
The courthouse was initially locked down, but that has since been lifted.
At a news conference, local law enforcement officials decried the shooting as an attack on the criminal justice system.
Sheriff David Byrnes says shooting a prosecutor is "the next level, you are not supposed to attack this level."
- Updated Taylor County woman pleads guilty for injuring her children
- Updated Wanted: Former Abilene day care teacher among 4 being sought
- Lawmakers: Wells Fargo a 'criminal enterprise' like Enron
- Police: Woman, 64, seriously injured in Big Spring disturbance, man arrested
- Texas prison records show more than 330 transgender inmates
- Taylor County woman pleads guilty for injuring her children
- Abilene city manager proposes study of tiered water rates
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash