KAUFMAN, Texas (AP) - Authorities say an assistant district attorney has been shot and killed near the North Texas county courthouse where he worked.
The shooting occurred just before 9 a.m. Thursday outside a building across from the main Kaufman County courthouse. Authorities say two suspects in the shooting are being sought. No motive has been released.
The name of the prosecutor was not immediately announced, pending notification of family.
The courthouse was initially locked down, but that has since been lifted.
At a news conference, local law enforcement officials decried the shooting as an attack on the criminal justice system.
Sheriff David Byrnes says shooting a prosecutor is "the next level, you are not supposed to attack this level."
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend