KAUFMAN, Texas (AP) - Authorities say an assistant district attorney has been shot and killed near the North Texas county courthouse where he worked.
The shooting occurred just before 9 a.m. Thursday outside a building across from the main Kaufman County courthouse. Authorities say two suspects in the shooting are being sought. No motive has been released.
The name of the prosecutor was not immediately announced, pending notification of family.
The courthouse was initially locked down, but that has since been lifted.
At a news conference, local law enforcement officials decried the shooting as an attack on the criminal justice system.
Sheriff David Byrnes says shooting a prosecutor is "the next level, you are not supposed to attack this level."
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- State Rep. submits bill to end Brown Co. Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Updated Texas ag. commisisoner calls for ‘hog apocalypse'
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS