KAUFMAN, Texas (AP) - Authorities say an assistant district attorney has been shot and killed near the North Texas county courthouse where he worked.
The shooting occurred just before 9 a.m. Thursday outside a building across from the main Kaufman County courthouse. Authorities say two suspects in the shooting are being sought. No motive has been released.
The name of the prosecutor was not immediately announced, pending notification of family.
The courthouse was initially locked down, but that has since been lifted.
At a news conference, local law enforcement officials decried the shooting as an attack on the criminal justice system.
Sheriff David Byrnes says shooting a prosecutor is "the next level, you are not supposed to attack this level."
- Updated Photo of Abilene veteran and his service dog goes viral
- Updated Justin Ross Harris sentenced to life for son's hot-car death
- 1 dead after 2 vehicles go into water-filled Texas sinkhole
- Iraan grad rounding up support from Texas cheerleaders after deadly bus crash
- Oakland fire death toll at 36, likely to climb as investigation continues
- 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Ballinger man arrested for ramming multiple patrol cars
- Thousands attend Brownwood Christmas parade