KAUFMAN, Texas (AP) - Authorities say an assistant district attorney has been shot and killed near the North Texas county courthouse where he worked.
The shooting occurred just before 9 a.m. Thursday outside a building across from the main Kaufman County courthouse. Authorities say two suspects in the shooting are being sought. No motive has been released.
The name of the prosecutor was not immediately announced, pending notification of family.
The courthouse was initially locked down, but that has since been lifted.
At a news conference, local law enforcement officials decried the shooting as an attack on the criminal justice system.
Sheriff David Byrnes says shooting a prosecutor is "the next level, you are not supposed to attack this level."
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting
- Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9
- Man lunges over counter, takes cash from Abilene convenience store