KAUFMAN, Texas (AP) - Authorities say an assistant district attorney has been shot and killed near the North Texas county courthouse where he worked.
The shooting occurred just before 9 a.m. Thursday outside a building across from the main Kaufman County courthouse. Authorities say two suspects in the shooting are being sought. No motive has been released.
The name of the prosecutor was not immediately announced, pending notification of family.
The courthouse was initially locked down, but that has since been lifted.
At a news conference, local law enforcement officials decried the shooting as an attack on the criminal justice system.
Sheriff David Byrnes says shooting a prosecutor is "the next level, you are not supposed to attack this level."
- Updated Dem convention speeches Day 4: CNN's Reality Check Team vets the claims
- 3 Big Country hospitals receive high marks from federal government
- Abilene council members approve controversial rezoning ordinance
- Brownwood business selling T-shirts to support law enforcement
- Updated Hillary Clinton: 'The sky's the limit'