EL PASO, Texas (AP) - El Paso County Sheriff's Office officials said they have fatally shot a pit bull that had bitten off a West Texas woman's thumb.
The El Paso Times reports the 70-year-old woman had been visiting her grandson on Saturday in the town of Tornillo when the female pit bull attacked her as she reached for her purse.
Sheriff's office spokeswoman Deputy Angelica Becerra said the dog bit off the woman's thumb. The woman was taken to a hospital in nearby El Paso where doctors would try to reattach the thumb.
Deputies shot and killed the dog after it had showed aggressiveness and had run off. Becerra says the dog had puppies.
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- KTXS Forecast: Severe weather possible tonight, sunshine back tomorrow
- Texas high school transgender wrestler wins regional title
- Man arrested for slaying of Caldwell County woman
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide