AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - An ex-assistant band director at a Central Texas school has been sentenced to two years in prison for sexual assault of a 15-year-old student.
A jury in Austin on Monday sentenced Andrew Polk, who formerly worked at Hendrickson High School in Pflugerville.
Jurors on Friday convicted Polk of sexual assault of a child and indecency. He was sentenced to 10 years of community supervision on the indecency count. The sentences will run concurrently.
Prosecutors said the teacher and student had exchanged hundreds of text messages before the December 2010 incident.
Polk testified that he never sexually assaulted the girl and denied any inappropriate touching of the teen.
- Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web
- No tax increases in proposed Brownwood budget for 2016-2017