STEPHENVILLE, Texas (AP) - Former Navy SEAL and expert sniper Chris Kyle was devoted to helping his fellow veterans navigate life after active duty.
Authorities said the 38-year-old Kyle was doing just that Saturday when he was slain along with a friend at a Texas gun range.
Police have charged 25-year-old Edie Ray Routh, of Lancaster, a former Marine, with murder in the deaths of Kyle and his friend 35-year-old Chad Littlefield.
Sgt. Lonny Haschel with Texas Department of Public Safety says Erath County deputies responded to a shooting at the Rough Creek Lodge on Saturday and found the bodies Kyle and Littlefield. Police have not said whether they have identified a motive in the case.
- Obama shortens more than 100 prison sentences
- Updated TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed
- Texan who faked being decorated Navy SEAL gets prison
- New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- KTXS Forecast: Thundershower chances persist into the weekend
Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- McMurry University kicks off school year with convocation
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident