DALLAS (AP) - Former President George W. Bush and his wife, Laura, missed President Barack Obama's second inauguration but have sent their best wishes.
A spokesman for the 66-year-old former president, Freddy Ford, issued a statement Monday evening saying, "President and Mrs. Bush wish President Obama and his family all the best for a wonderful inaugural celebration."
Obama is the nation's 44th president.
Bush served two terms as the country's 43rd president. He and the former first lady live in Dallas.
His 88-year-old father, ex-president George H.W. Bush of Houston, sent a similar message of best wishes in his name and that of his wife, Barbara. The elder Bush was released last week from a Houston hospital where he was treated for nearly two months for a bronchitis-related cough and other health issues.
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated West Texas police say 6 slightly hurt when shot during robbery
- Updated 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested
- Updated 2 arrested for Texas bank robberies
- Updated Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman