CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) - A Nueces County man on death row for the slayings of a 24-year-old Corpus Christi woman, her young son and her mother has been set to die in April.
State District Judge David Stith on Thursday set April 16 as the execution date for 38-year-old Jose Villegas.
Lawyer Paul Mansur said new appeals will be filed to try to spare Villegas from lethal injection for the 2001 fatal stabbings of his ex-girlfriend Erida Perez Salazar, her 3-year-old son, Jacob, and her 51-year-old mother, Alma Perez.
Salazar was stabbed 32 times, her son 19 times and mother 35 times.
Evidence showed Villegas pawned a television stolen from the home to buy drugs. He was arrested after leading police on a chase where he was driving Salazar's car.
- Updated Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Updated Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Updated Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Updated Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital
- Updated Abilene man, 32, sentenced to 18 years for June 2014 shooting death