HOUSTON (AP) - Former President George H.W. Bush remained in guarded condition overnight in the intensive care unit at a Houston hospital after a day marked by what his spokesman called "a series of setbacks including persistent fever."
Bush spokesman Jim McGrath said Wednesday that that the 88-year-old former leader had been admitted Sunday to the ICU at Methodist Hospital.
McGrath said Bush, the oldest living former U.S. president, was alert and talking to medical staff, adding that doctors are cautiously optimistic about his treatment.
No other details were released about his condition, but McGrath said Bush is surrounded by family.
Bush has been hospitalized since Nov. 23, when he was admitted for a cough related to bronchitis after having been in and out of the hospital for complications related to the illness.
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Abilene City Council to consider payday loan restrictions
- Major businesses push back against Texas' proposed bathroom bill
- Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- Updated Abilene parents offer to pay for after-school programs