AUSTIN, Texas - (AP) - A former dean of the University of Texas School of Law has died.
John F. Sutton, Jr., was 95. His son, John E. Sutton, tells the Austin American-Statesman (http://bit.ly/11tvgGI ) that Sutton died just before midnight Friday at a hospital in San Angelo.
Sutton graduated from the law school in 1941 and joined the UT Law faculty in 1957. He taught for nearly a half-century until his retirement at age 85. He served as dean from 1979 to 1984.
Before joining the faculty, Sutton served in the FBI at the start of World War II and the Judge Advocate General's Corps during the Korean War.
UT President Bill Powers - himself a former law school dean - called Sutton a dear friend, a first-rate teacher and "tremendous colleague."
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Fire damages north Abilene structure
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot