AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A Central Texas teenager has been critically hurt after she apparently jumped out the back door of a moving school bus in far northwest Austin.
Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Services reports the 17-year-old girl was injured Thursday morning and taken to a Round Rock hospital.
Officials with the Round Rock Independent School District say the incident happened while the bus was bound for Westwood High School. Authorities are trying to determine why the girl leaped out the back door when the bus was near an intersection and a mile from campus.
The girl's name and further details on her condition weren't immediately released.
The bus carried about 50 students. The Round Rock ISD dispatched another bus to pick up the students and transport them to school.
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen