WACO, Texas - Texas Governor Rick Perry released the following statement late Wednesday night regarding a fertilizer plant explosion in the town of West.
"We are monitoring developments and gathering information as details continue to emerge about this incident. We have also mobilized state resources to help local authorities. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of West, and the first responders on the scene."
WFAA TV in Dallas reports the powerful explosion happened Wednesday night at a fertilizer plant on Jerry Mashek Drive, a few blocks east of Interstate 35. A West Fire Department dispatcher says any casualties would be taken to hospitals in Waco, which is about 19 miles from the scene. It's unclear how people are dead or injured from the blast.
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Updated Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon