WACO, Texas - Texas Governor Rick Perry released the following statement late Wednesday night regarding a fertilizer plant explosion in the town of West.
"We are monitoring developments and gathering information as details continue to emerge about this incident. We have also mobilized state resources to help local authorities. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of West, and the first responders on the scene."
WFAA TV in Dallas reports the powerful explosion happened Wednesday night at a fertilizer plant on Jerry Mashek Drive, a few blocks east of Interstate 35. A West Fire Department dispatcher says any casualties would be taken to hospitals in Waco, which is about 19 miles from the scene. It's unclear how people are dead or injured from the blast.
- Abilenians sought for curbside recycling program, deadline Monday
- Tax rate increase approved by Abilene City Council in first reading
- Updated 'Emergency contract' awarded to build new bridge on Hwy 6 at Lake Cisco
- Texas detective fired for mishandling child abuse cases
- American Airlines plane lands safely despite engine flames