AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - House Speaker Joe Straus says Texas needs more than tax cuts in order to thrive and says investments in education, infrastructure and water sources are also needed.
The San Antonio Republican said Monday that with a rapidly growing population, the state needs to provide for new residents.
Straus promised to provide for the growing number of students in public schools. But he said any major changes to school finance would wait until a court ruling in the lawsuit brought by school districts.
He said making sure Texas had quality schools, good roads and clean water were the basic responsibilities of government and bipartisan issues. He said after cutting government programs by $27 billion in 2011, a better economic picture will allow for more spending.
- Updated Abilene murder suspect captured in Arlington
- Trump makes unusual swing through Texas
- Texas fines testing vendor $5.7M, demands $15M in upgrades
- Too much homework? Not in this Texas classroom. None at all. None all year
- Abilene police seeking suspect who drove girlfriend to Tuscola, assaulted her