HOUSTON (AP) - A Houston-area police officer has died of wounds in a shootout after a chase and gunfire that left a second person dead.
Houston police spokesman John Cannon says the officer, from the southwest Houston enclave of Bellaire, died at a hospital less two hours after the mid-morming shooting Monday.
Another person, believed the suspect, also is wounded and hospitalized.
The second person killed was a bystander who worked at an auto body shop where the vehicles were parked after the traffic accident.
Witnesses say the Bellaire officer got out of his patrol car and the driver of a car involved in the wreck and the driver pulled a gun, opened fire and ran off on foot.
Other officers at the scene returned fire, wounded him and he was captured.
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Texas officer found dead at law enforcement shooting range