KILLEEN, Texas (AP) - Fort Hood officials say a soldier from Houston was behind the wheel of a car that was hit by a train, killing the driver and the female passenger.
Military officials on Tuesday identified the soldier as 26-year-old Spec. Jeremy Wayne Berczik.
A Killeen police spokeswoman did not immediately release the name of the woman who died in Friday's accident. Police have said the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway train was westbound when a car went around barriers and was struck.
Berczik entered the military in 2004 and had served in Iraq. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 3rd Squadron, 3rd Cavalry Regiment at Fort Hood.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Updated Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- KTXS Forecast: Tracking another cold front
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend