JASPER, Texas (AP) - A human skull found by a deer hunter in some East Texas woods has been sent to a forensic lab in an effort to identify the person.
Jasper County Sheriff Mitchell Newman said Wednesday that authorities have not had a missing person report for several years.
Officials said the hunter came upon the remains Tuesday night in a wooded area off a road just north of Jasper. Several pieces of vertebrae were also located.
Jasper is about 125 miles northeast of Houston.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated