GRAPEVINE, Texas (AP) - A Florida prisoner being flown to Nevada has escaped in the Dallas area after stabbing one of his police escorts.
Grapevine police Lt. Barry Bowling says officers Tuesday searched for 42-year-old Alberto Morales, who'd been held on assault, kidnapping, burglary and sexual assault charges.
Two Miami-Dade Police officers were escorting Morales to Las Vegas when they had a layover Monday night at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport.
Bowling says Morales was disruptive on the flight so the officers rented a vehicle to drive to Las Vegas, nearly 1,200 miles away.
Bowling says Morales had a sharp object and stabbed one officer several times when the other went into a store.
The wounded officer is in stable but critical condition. His name hasn't been released.
Further details weren't immediately available.
- Texas gunman had 2 weapons, thousands of rounds at scene
- Children subject of Amber Alert found dead, mother arrested
- KTXS Forecast: Isolated sprinkles possible then drying afternoon
- North Texas son, 18, gets life in prison for killing parents
- Fugitive Monday: Man, 27, wanted by Abilene police for parole violation
- Texas Roadhouse in Abilene donating to non-profit for cancer patients
- Man pleads guilty in connection with brutal 2014 Abilene murder, sentenced to life
- Abilene man fires shot during fight with roommate
- $4,000 TV stolen during burglary of Abilene apartment
- More Abilene convenience store robberies reported
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- Low enrollment causing Brookesmith ISD to look into restructuring
- Firefighters respond to house fire in Clyde, rescue dog