AMARILLO, Texas - (AP) - A nationwide survey says an Amarillo male prison has the highest rate of inmates reporting they were pressured into sex or sexual contact with prison staff.
The Amarillo Globe-News (http://bit.ly/188uBBu ) reports that 8.1 percent of inmates at the Clements Unit alleged sexual victimization by staff involving force or threat of force. The figure comes from a report by the Bureau of Justice Statistics.
State prisons spokesman Jason Clark questioned the survey's findings, saying many allegations were not actually sexual assault and "could reflect offender attitudes toward other offensive behavior or legitimate security precautions."
Clements also had the highest rate of inmates saying they were coerced or pressured into sex among male prisons, at 8.7 percent.
The figures come from a survey of 92,000 inmates over 2011 and 2012.
- Updated Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Updated Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Updated Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Updated Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital
- Updated Abilene man, 32, sentenced to 18 years for June 2014 shooting death