CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) - A woman from Australia and her American pen pal have met in Texas after 74 years of sharing their lives by writing letters.
Norma "Kitty" Frati, 87, welcomed 83-year-old Audrey Sims of Perth, Australia, for a visit. Their face-to-face introduction and embrace came Monday afternoon at Corpus Christi International Airport.
Frati, who lives in nearby Portland, was a 13-year-old eighth-grader in Winfield, Kan., when a school project led to her correspondence with Sims - who was 9 years old. The girls grew up and continued writing with details of their lives - but never met.
Sims, whose three daughters joined her on the trip, says the friendship by mail has meant everything to her.
Frati says the pen pals will keep writing letters.
- H-E-B donates $2,500 to The Food Bank of West Central Texas
- CityLink bus fare increases passed by Abilene City Council
- Abilene City Council responds to audit requests over water bills
- Truck flips after being T-boned in downtown Abilene
- Guardian claims disabled Abilene woman had $200,000 stolen from account