CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) - A woman from Australia and her American pen pal have met in Texas after 74 years of sharing their lives by writing letters.
Norma "Kitty" Frati, 87, welcomed 83-year-old Audrey Sims of Perth, Australia, for a visit. Their face-to-face introduction and embrace came Monday afternoon at Corpus Christi International Airport.
Frati, who lives in nearby Portland, was a 13-year-old eighth-grader in Winfield, Kan., when a school project led to her correspondence with Sims - who was 9 years old. The girls grew up and continued writing with details of their lives - but never met.
Sims, whose three daughters joined her on the trip, says the friendship by mail has meant everything to her.
Frati says the pen pals will keep writing letters.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Updated Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program