HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) - A Texas prison inmate whose escape six years ago left a corrections officer dead is set for execution this week in Huntsville.
Forty-three-year-old Jerry Martin has ordered no more appeals filed to try to stop his scheduled lethal injection Tuesday evening.
Martin and another inmate, John Falk Jr., broke away from a work detail outside the Wynne Unit prison in Huntsville in 2007, got a gun while struggling with an officer and rammed a stolen pickup truck into 59-year-old Susan Canfield before speeding off. She was on horseback, was thrown from her horse and died of injuries.
Both prisoners were back in custody within hours.
Martin already was serving 50 years for attempted capital murder. Falk was serving life and is awaiting a retrial on his capital murder charge.
- Updated Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash
- 2 Texas death row inmates lose at US Supreme Court
- KTXS Forecast: Sunshine sticking around but cooling down closer to normal later this week
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Fire damages north Abilene structure
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot