HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) - A Texas prison inmate whose escape six years ago left a corrections officer dead is set for execution this week in Huntsville.
Forty-three-year-old Jerry Martin has ordered no more appeals filed to try to stop his scheduled lethal injection Tuesday evening.
Martin and another inmate, John Falk Jr., broke away from a work detail outside the Wynne Unit prison in Huntsville in 2007, got a gun while struggling with an officer and rammed a stolen pickup truck into 59-year-old Susan Canfield before speeding off. She was on horseback, was thrown from her horse and died of injuries.
Both prisoners were back in custody within hours.
Martin already was serving 50 years for attempted capital murder. Falk was serving life and is awaiting a retrial on his capital murder charge.
- Updated Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Updated Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital
- Updated Abilene man, 32, sentenced to 18 years for June 2014 shooting death
- Updated New Mexico governor: 10-year-old girl's death worst she's seen
- Updated Texas man charged with beheading wife after police visit