HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) - A Texas prison inmate whose escape six years ago left a corrections officer dead is set for execution this week in Huntsville.
Forty-three-year-old Jerry Martin has ordered no more appeals filed to try to stop his scheduled lethal injection Tuesday evening.
Martin and another inmate, John Falk Jr., broke away from a work detail outside the Wynne Unit prison in Huntsville in 2007, got a gun while struggling with an officer and rammed a stolen pickup truck into 59-year-old Susan Canfield before speeding off. She was on horseback, was thrown from her horse and died of injuries.
Both prisoners were back in custody within hours.
Martin already was serving 50 years for attempted capital murder. Falk was serving life and is awaiting a retrial on his capital murder charge.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated