NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas (AP) - A 45-year-old Texas Hill Country man is going to prison for at least 30 years after receiving his eighth conviction for drunken driving.
A jury in New Braunfels has sentenced Cornelio Garcia-Mata of New Braunfels to life imprisonment. Comal County District Attorney Jennifer Tharp said Monday that he must serve at least 30 years of that sentence before becoming eligible for parole.
The Comal County jury delivered the life sentence Nov. 16 at the request of prosecutors.
Tharp said Garcia was driving erratically late the afternoon of Feb. 26 on Interstate 35. Tharp said he was stopped with the aid of civilians and tests revealed a.446 percent blood-alcohol level. That's 5Â½ times the legal threshold for drunken driving in Texas.
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting
- Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9
- Man lunges over counter, takes cash from Abilene convenience store