HOUSTON - (AP) A man convicted this week of the fatal stabbing 20 years ago of a 6-year-old Houston boy abducted from his home where his mother also was raped is headed to Texas death row.
A Harris County jury deliberated about seven hours over two days before reaching a punishment verdict Friday in the case of 45-year-old Obel Cruz-Garcia.
He was serving time for kidnapping in Puerto Rico in 2007 when DNA testing linked him to the rape and led to the capital murder charges for the slaying of Angelo Garcia.
Evidence showed Cruz-Garcia was one of two masked men who broke into the Garcia family apartment Sept. 30, 1992. He fled the country two days later.
The boy's mother and stepfather testified being involved with Cruz-Garcia's cocaine-trafficking ring.
- Updated Flint water crisis: New criminal charges filed
- Updated Police: McDonald's worker in Texas fired for refusing officer service
- Updated Police save Texas robbery suspect from burning car after chase
- Updated Building partially collapses in Hamlin
- Updated Firefighters extinguish garbage truck fire in north Abilene