HOUSTON - (AP) A man convicted this week of the fatal stabbing 20 years ago of a 6-year-old Houston boy abducted from his home where his mother also was raped is headed to Texas death row.
A Harris County jury deliberated about seven hours over two days before reaching a punishment verdict Friday in the case of 45-year-old Obel Cruz-Garcia.
He was serving time for kidnapping in Puerto Rico in 2007 when DNA testing linked him to the rape and led to the capital murder charges for the slaying of Angelo Garcia.
Evidence showed Cruz-Garcia was one of two masked men who broke into the Garcia family apartment Sept. 30, 1992. He fled the country two days later.
The boy's mother and stepfather testified being involved with Cruz-Garcia's cocaine-trafficking ring.
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- KTXS Forecast: Rain moves out, making way for warmer weather and sunny skies