DALLAS (AP) - What the TV ads touting Texans' love of pickup trucks won't tell you is that so do Texas thieves.
Ford, Chevy and Dodge pickups top the Texas Department of Public Safety's list of vehicles most reported as stolen last year.
The Texas Auto Burglary and Theft Prevention Authority and its vehicle crime task forces say the latest results continue a years-long trend supporting the popularity of pickups.
Fourth on the list is the subcompact Honda Civic, followed by a full-size SUV, the Chevrolet Tahoe.
Rounding out the top 10 are the Honda Accord, GMC pickup, Chevy Impala, Toyota Camry and Ford Taurus.
The prevention authority, part of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, says confirmed vehicle thefts cost Texans more than any other single crime, topping $621 million in 2011.
Top 10 vehicles reported stolen in Texas in 2012
HOUSTON (AP) - Here are the 10 vehicles most reported as stolen in Texas in 2012:
1. Ford pickup
2. Chevrolet pickup
3. Dodge pickup
4. Honda Civic
5. Chevrolet Tahoe
6. Honda Accord
7. GMC pickup
8. Chevrolet Impala
9. Toyota Camry
10. Ford Taurus
Source: Texas Department of Public Safety figures released by the Texas Auto Burglary and Theft Prevention Authority
- Updated Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash
- 2 Texas death row inmates lose at US Supreme Court
- KTXS Forecast: Sunshine sticking around but cooling down closer to normal later this week
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Fire damages north Abilene structure
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot