SHERMAN, Texas - (AP) - A sheriff's deputy in North Texas has died and authorities have arrested a repeat drunken driver for allegedly hitting him while he was directing traffic.
The Grayson County Sheriff's Office says Chad Christian Key was hit by a vehicle Saturday night while working near U.S. Highway 82 east of Sherman, northeast of Dallas. Authorities say the driver - who was not immediately identified - failed to stop. He was later arrested.
Key was pronounced dead at an area hospital.
The 42-year-old Key had been a patrol deputy for a little more than two months.
Authorities say the driver has two previous convictions for driving while intoxicated and was out on bond after being arrested again in August.
Blood test results on the driver are pending.
- Residents in Big Country report fireball in sky, loud boom
- Updated 'Moonlight' wins Best Picture Oscar after mistaken announcement
- From Snyder to Hollywood: Theater program grooms actors
- Updated Air Force sergeant convicted of misconduct with 8 women
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program