HOUSTON (AP) - Investigators say nearly 400 roosters believed meant for illegal cockfighting have been seized in the Houston area as part of a drug-related case.
According to the Harris County Sheriff's Office, criminal charges are pending against two men.
Authorities on Wednesday announced the animals were confiscated Aug. 23 in north Harris County as deputies responded to a kidnapping complaint. Investigators found no evidence of an abduction but came upon 377 roosters in cages, plus confiscated nearly 7 pounds of cocaine, marijuana and $40,000.
The roosters have been turned over to an animal welfare group.
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital