KAUFMAN, Texas (AP) - A North Texas county where two prosecutors were fatally shot has a new district attorney as two suspects in the killings remain in custody.
Erleigh Norville Wiley was sworn in Monday afternoon to succeed slain Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McLelland.
The bodies of McLelland and his wife, Cynthia, were found March 30 in their home. An assistant district attorney, Mark Hasse (HA'-see), was gunned down Jan. 31.
Wiley grew up in Kaufman. She was a prosecutor in Dallas County and court-at-law judge before being approved by the Texas Senate to replace McLelland.
Ex-Justice of the Peace Eric Williams and his wife, Kim, are being held on capital murder charges. Eric Williams was convicted last year of theft and burglary for stealing county computer monitors. He was sentenced to probation.
- Updated Los Arcos restaurant to reopen Wednesday in Abilene
- Updated Crews battling wildfires in Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- High levels of ammonia in Texas home where some 430 animals found