LITTLE ELM, Texas (AP) - An investigation has determined that a man who fatally shot a police detective during a standoff last month at a suburban Dallas home died in an exchange of gunfire with officers.
Investigators had not previously indicated whether 46-year-old Rudy Garcia died by police gunfire or whether he shot himself during the Jan. 17 standoff in Little Elm.
City officials said in a statement Monday that a medical examiner's investigation determined the manner of death.
Detective Jerry Walker was among officers who responded to the home on a report of a man armed with a long gun.
Investigators say Garcia shot Walker and then was subsequently killed during an exchange of gunfire with other officers.
Garcia was found dead hours later when authorities sent a robotic device into the home.
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 7 tornadoes reported Tuesday in Big Country
- DPS identifies 2 killed, 1 injured in Jones County rollover crash
- Exclusive video: Knox County tornado
- 'Witness' in Hamlin murder confesses to deadly shooting
- Tornadoes, hail, flooding: Tuesday's severe storms caught on camera